Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Celebrate....

Our writers have published again! Since after the holiday, our students have been working hard retelling and writing "small moment" stories in Writer's Workshop. Last week, our writers got to the final stage of the writing process, editing and revising their stories to make it more interesting to read, and easier to follow. They went back, reread their stories and thought about parts or words that didn't sound right, look right, or make sense to them and fixed the errors. Many of them also learned to revise their stories by writing a different beginning, adding dialogues, actions, feelings, and many other details to capture our readers' interest.

Today, we celebrated our publications by reading and sharing our new stories to each other. We also looked back at the very first story that we published in November and reflected on the changes and improvements they have made, and other writing strategies they could use for next time. Many of them have made really positive and honest observations.

"In my old story I had a lot of wrong spelling. In this story, I had fixed them and now it is easier to read and I can read it smoother and faster." - Nila
"My old story had less details. Now I have more." - Salem
"In my last story, I had a boring beginning, now I started my story with an action." - Gabriela
"My last story had little dialogue, now I have many!" - Shereef

Please congratulate your child tonight for making a huge progress in their writing, and noticing their strengths and improvements in their published story. YAY WRITERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment